Spatial Database Tips and Tricks
Spatial Database Tips and Tricks Workshop¶
Mapping APIs are great for data display and capture, but how do you build applications that allow query and geoprocessing of spatial data without becoming a Java or C++ programming guru? How about using the power of SQL, the standard database query language, and the spatial extensions provided by SQL Server, Oracle Spatial and PostGIS.
- This workshop uses a software/data bundle http://files.opengeo.org/workshopmaterials/spdb-005.zip
- Download the bundle and unzip it in a convenient location.
- What are spatial databases? What options do you have? What are the plusses and minuses?
- How do spatial databases fit into web mapping architecture?
- Installing our chosen set of packages for the workshop: PostGIS, GeoServer, OpenLayers.
- Base Map with WMS Overlay
- Displaying spatial database layers on a web map.
- Query Spatial Database from Map Click
- Querying the spatial database from a map click.
- Analyze Spatial Data from a Map Click
- Summarizing information from the spatial database with a map click.
- Join Spatial Tables from a Map Click
- Summarizing information from two spatial tables with a map click.
- Union Geometries inside the Spatial Database
- Performing a spatial query and generating the union of all tax lots within particular zoning areas.
- Running Arbitrary Spatial SQL
- Run any SQL spatial query at all and see the results on the map.
- Walk a Sewer Network
- Walk down the storm drain network using database calls.
- What should you take away from this workshop?
Practical walkthroughs of app development examples using OpenGeo Suite.
Course materials given at our various training classes in NYC and conferences around the world.
Boundless reduces the cost and time of deploying and managing open source geospatial software. Learn more about Suite, plus our Support, Developer Tools, Maintenance, Pro Services, and Training offerings.
Boundless provides commercial open source software for internet mapping and geospatial application development. We are dedicated to the growth and support of open source software.
This work is licensed under a Creative Non Commercial-Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Feel free to use this material, but we ask that you please retain the Boundless branding, logos and style.